RED Logo Narrow v2.jpg

James Avenue Pumping Station

• Thursday, December 05, 2013 7:17 AM
    Message # 1452196

I live in the Exchange District and am pro-development and growth in the area. However, in this particular instance the variance being requested does not meet any standards that should be required when developing in this Historic Community. It is disappointing to me that this application has gotten as far as it has. It is another indication of the need for a plan, strategy and criteria for development in the City of Winnipeg. It is difficult to understand why a City of over 700 000 people doesn’t have such a plan, strategy or specific criteria for development.

A variance requesting to change the current 8 storey height regulation to 24 stories is no small request. The resulting change would impact not only the cultural and historic make-up of the community but also has implications for parking, traffic as well as there should be concerns in regards to the stability of land and possible issues arising on neighboring developments.

Again I would like to indicate I am pro-development but it must be thoughtful. Perhaps the City of Winnipeg would benefit from following the lead of many Canadian and US cities as they develop strategies and criteria for sustainable development.
  • Thursday, December 05, 2013 10:08 AM
    Reply # 1452313 on 1452196
    I agree with the comments made by James. We need a plan for this area and we need to stick to it. This is some of the most valuable real estate in Winnipeg and is being allowed to develop in a way that destroys the historic character and charm of the area. We have to put a stop any future developments until there is a comprehensive plan that addresses building character, parking requirements, liveability and height restrictions.
    I am all for development but lets put an end to cheap, non-integrated developments like the Mere Hotel, H20 condos and of course this riverfront destroying glass tower.
  • Thursday, December 05, 2013 1:31 PM
    Reply # 1452469 on 1452196

I concur with Heather and James. Sadly cities are going broke and there is a real push on for anything that generates revenue. Emphsis here on anything!

After 22 yrs in Vancouver, I have seen good and bad development. This project would rank up there with the bad. Like Heather and James, I believe we are in need of density and development but, this isn't it.

Last modified: Thursday, December 05, 2013 1:31 PM | Lyle Stafford
  • Friday, December 06, 2013 11:19 AM
    Reply # 1453154 on 1452196
    John Giavedoni (Administrator)
    by James Hoddinott

It is disappointing to me that this application has gotten as far as it has. It is another indication of the need for a plan, strategy and criteria for development in the City of Winnipeg. It is difficult to understand why a City of over 700 000 people doesn’t have such a plan, strategy or specific criteria for development.  A variance requesting to change the current 8 storey height regulation to 24 stories is no small request. The resulting change would impact not only the cultural and historic make-up of the community but also has implications for the issues of parking, traffic as well as there should be concerns in regards to the stability of land and possible issues arising on neighboring developments.
    Living in the Exchange District has certainly resulted in me being more aware of City politics. At times it has made my stomach turn as the apparent disregard for the people of our communities underlies every decision made.

This is not just a residents of the Exchange area problem, but a problem that will have a negative impact on all Winnipeggers now and into the future. This particular variance being requested does not meet any standards that should be required when developing in this Historic Community and should not meet the standards of any city let alone our City. Make no mistake about it this is a valuable piece of Real Estate that overlooks the river and Stephen Juba Park and it shows a lack of faith by our civic leaders that they think this is the best we can do.

It is disappointing to me that this application has gotten as far as it has. It is another indication of the need for a plan, strategy and criteria for development in the City of Winnipeg.

Again I would like to indicate I am pro-development but it must be thoughtful. Perhaps the City of Winnipeg would benefit from following the lead of many Canadian and US cities as they develop strategies and criteria for development.

(excerpt from blog by James Hoddinott)

© 2018, Residents of the Exchange District.ca
website by John Giavedoni 

photography by
immagine.ca